Search This Blog

Saturday, January 19, 2008

"Something will turn up" --B. Disraeli

This is the second time in a week that this sentence has entered my awareness. So the something that turned up is this same phrase. If these were Tarot cards and I kept picking the same one, I'd know the Universe was telling me something important. I assume the same principle applies here.

 

What's it telling me? Keep going. Don't get stuck in the mire, the Slough of Despond. Keep going, for something will turn up. No cause is ever lost completely, for something will turn up.

 

What may turn up is the soil itself, but, except for the heaving of the ground caused by deep frost, there'll be no real turning of the soil until spring. Everything is set and frozen now. Too late to plant bulbs. Too late to do last-minute gardening of any kind. Too late.

 

But just wait a mere seven or eight months, and surely something will turn up. What will have happened by then? The world could have tilted on its axis by then. The Southern Hemisphere might have become the Northern. Would we notice that? Would I notice that? Would water drain from the sink in the opposite direction?

 

What other changes will we see? What am I expecting/hoping/fearing in the way of things that might turn up. After all, the phrase is not "something GOOD will turn up." It's just saying don't get used to what you have now, because it is bound to change. It will inexorably change. And there's no "better" or "worse" in this change. What IS will become something else. I guess "what is" will become "what was" and we'll be adjusting to the new, whatever that "is" is.

 

Now I'm sounding like Bill Clinton: depends on your definition of "is", doesn't it?

 

So don't get attached to what IS in the world, in your life. Change she is a-comin', round the bend, over the mountain, in fact, right on track, right in your face, in your way, in your space! Enjoy it.

 

Copyright 2008 Ann Tudor   

No comments: