Search This Blog

Sunday, March 15, 2009

Sidetracked

One late November morning, I start making my Christmas cards for the coming holiday. First I have to make them, then I have to write messages and addresses. And then I stamp and send them. Oh, wait. First I need to put a load of clothes into the washer. So I sort the laundry into three piles and carry one of them to the basement—that is, down two flights of stairs. As I work my way over to the washer and dryer, I pass my gardening bag, which reminds me that I had meant to prune the clematis this week. I carry the bag upstairs and put it by the back door as a reminder.

 

While at the back door, which is in the kitchen, I realize I haven't given a thought to dinner. What will we eat? It's too late in the day to defrost a chicken. How about organic chicken livers, which are packaged in easily defrosted flat packets? Great. How shall I cook them?

 

I move into the freezer room, take out a package of chicken livers, and start flipping through the recipe index cards for chicken liver ideas. I find eight options among my collected recipes, and I haven't even started searching through the cookbooks. This whole procedure takes half an hour. Chicken livers with risotto. Where's the Arborio? Shall I use the Arborio or that fancier short-grain Italian rice that we were given? Which will be better? Dither for a while. Then take out a container of homemade chicken stock and put it, along with the chicken livers, in the sink to defrost.

 

I'm at the sink. Oh, yes, I need a glass of water. Which reminds me: did I take my vitamins today? I take my vitamins.

 

By now the load in the washer is finished. I go upstairs to fetch the next load. Who needs a "steps" class when you have a two-story house with a basement? Pick up the second pile of clothes to be washed. Traipse down to the basement. Make the switch: washer to dryer, basket to washer.

 

Now. Where was I? Oh, I remember. I was going to work on my Christmas cards today, but I got sidetracked.

 

Because I'm so easily sidetracked, I have difficulty completing a project. Or, to look at it another way, if it weren't for getting sidetracked, I'd never get anything done. For me, life is what happens when I'm sidetracked.

 

There's always tomorrow for the Christmas cards.

 

Copyright 2009 Ann Tudor   

No comments: