Search This Blog

Saturday, April 4, 2009

To Coax the Birds

If I want the birds to come

I must go to the basement for the stepladder

then find the cord I plan to use

for my pulley contraption

to raise and lower the feeder

 

I must fill the feeder,

devise a squirrel deterrent,

and then, everything assembled

beside the back door,

put on boots and hat

and coat and scarf

and nimble-fingered gloves

(mittens would be useless

for this job).

 

Now, prepared,

I must go out the back door

and clear the snow

from the back steps and the deck

and move into the action

that I hope will bring the birds to me.

 

Birds to see, idly,

until I learn to watch intently.

Birds to hear, casually,

until I learn to listen for—

yes, even the sparrows' spats.

 

And no more of this "only", please.

No more of wanting just the classy birds,

the rarities, the ones I have to look up

in Peterson's.

There'll be no class-ism

around my feeder this winter.

I've learned the vanity

of preferring one bird over another.

Once this feeder's up and running,

I'll watch and hear them all

with pleasure.

 

Copyright 2009 Ann Tudor   

www.anntudor.ca
http://scenesfromthejourney.blogspot.com

No comments: