Search This Blog

Sunday, August 22, 2010

Spider-Watching

As I sat in my chair

a tiny movement caught my eye.

Turning my head, I saw a minute house spider.

Suspended from a single silken filament,

she stared at me, eyeball to eyeball.

 

We have an arachnid-friendly house,

but that does not extend to

such intimate interaction.

 

I rose from my chair.

 

Reacting to my movement,

the spider climbed up her home-spun lifeline,

just a few inches.

I waved my hand beneath her

and she climbed higher, gobbling up her thread,

climbing, climbing.

We played this game a minute more,

me waving her on, she climbing to save her life,

until she reached the safety of the ceiling.

 

I returned to my own safety

of sitting still in my chair,

satisfied at the non-violent outcome.

 

Copyright 2010 Ann Tudor   

No comments: