Search This Blog

Sunday, August 7, 2011

A Thrill a Minute

How exciting my life is I can barely tell you.

Where shall I begin?

"At the beginning" you may say,

but that's much too far away.

That's in the distant past.

And besides, the beginning

is not the exciting part.

The ending is what's becoming exciting,

on many different levels.

Take, for example, Saturday, March 8, 2008,

when I got to spend the day

(after my cursory but animated reading

of two newspapers)

in the kitchen preparing

beautiful market-bought raw materials

into a feast for friends

(and the market was exciting, too,

as always, but that was Thursday's thrill;

if I start going backwards,

I'll end up at the beginning

and, as I said, that part's less exciting).

So Saturday I was alone with the Met broadcast

(Otello with its love duet at the beginning

that almost compensates for

Desdemona's tragic death at the end).

And perhaps if Otello had been shrunk

by a good shrink

(Gabriel Byrnes comes to mind)

he wouldn't have allowed himself

to be swayed by Iago.

 

So that was Saturday's excitement.

Sunday was even better.

And then Monday.

But I'll have to tell you later.

 

 

Copyright 2011 Ann Tudor
www.anntudor.ca
http://www.scenesfromthejourney.blogspot.com

No comments: