Search This Blog

Sunday, February 12, 2012

What the Writer Needs

What the Writer Needs

 

Silence.

At least, relative silence,

free from another's choice in, say, music.

 

Peace.

How to achieve that?

I'll breathe into a blank mind,

wrap my worries in gold leaf

and set them outside on a high ledge,

to be retrieved later.

So: peace and silence.

 

Water.

I'll create a river in my mind,

an ocean in my breath.

In the space behind my eyes

lies a still lake with mist rising.

 

What else?

A smooth-writing pen and a clipboard

Holding cheap yellow paper.

A bird or two would be helpful.

Crows in the white pine behind my neighbour's house,

or a hawk banking against the wind,

seeking his squirrel lunch.

 

 

If I do the work of gathering all these elements

in one place, at one time,

will my Muse join the party?

 

That's not up to me.

I'll have to wait and see.

 

Copyright 2012 Ann Tudor
www.anntudor.ca
http://www.scenesfromthejourney.blogspot.com

No comments: