Search This Blog

Sunday, December 7, 2014

The Shape of Things

Things should be what they are, don't you think? If there is an elephant in the room, don't try to pretend it's a water buffalo. Or a unicorn. Especially not a unicorn. Only one consonant separates a uniform from a unicorn. Oops. That's a lie. There are two consonants that change. I stand corrected. Does that mean I have been relegated to a corner? "Go stand in the corner, young woman, until your behaviour improves."

 

Well, that's a pretty silly concept of behavioural modification. How can you change your behaviour if you are standing with your face toward the two blank walls of a corner? And how will that change be measured? And by whom?

 

I would return to the beginning of this if I could find it. Was I talking about uniform unicorns? Or elephants?

 

If you object to things in the shape of other things, then what will happen to Christmas ornaments? I hang from my non-tree a bi-plane, a fish, a hummingbird, many bells. These are not real bi-planes or fish; they are tree ornaments. And what about earrings? My earrings are shaped like radishes, scissors, dancing women, faces. Are we to do without such whimsy? Must all earrings be boring, round, button-like objects? (And even there, they are button-like, not real buttons.) How can we resolve this?

 

Some things must be allowed to take the shape of other things. Look, you say, a Santa Claus piggy bank is an abomination. But a piggy bank in the shape of a pig is still not a pig. What shape shall our coin-banks take? Must they all look like miniature bank vaults?

 

I champion things in the shape of other things. I champion the thing inside me that is and is not like me. I champion diversity in earrings and piggy banks.

 

 
Copyright © 2014 Ann Tudor

No comments: