Search This Blog

Sunday, January 3, 2016

Early Winter

Early Winter

 

The door closes behind me.

I am out in the cold,

bombarded by baby hail.

Not snowflakes. No way.

No delicacy, no lacy six-pointed flakes,

each different from the next.

No, none of that soft stuff today

but millet-sized bullets,

miniature kamikaze pilots

whose death-wishing efforts

plunge them to earth

but not before they pass like tiny meteors

before my eyes.

 

I plow on, leaning into the barrage,

and see the pellets intercepted

by my presence.

They collect in the wrinkles

of my watermelon-pink winter jacket.

 

Fiercely they fall,

aiming for the extremity of blizzard

but they lack the numbers and energy for that.

Falling hard onto the ground

they melt immediately

leaving barely a wet spot

to remember them by.

 

 

Copyright © 2016 Ann Tudor
 

No comments: