Search This Blog

Sunday, February 14, 2016

On Reading a Poem I Don't Understand

What do I take from the reading of this poem?

Not much, I blush to say.

I fail to get it.

But I admired throughout

the poet's use of "-ere" rhymes,

whether they were internal

or in a formal scheme of line endings.

Sphere, she said, and hear,

And fear, and maybe year.

Or I'm making that up as I mimic the spelling game

I played with six-year-olds:

If h-e-a-r is hear,

then what is g-e-a-r-?

I resist the wicked temptation

to spell b-e-a-r.

I agree with George Bernard Shaw's insistence

that English spelling is not a piece o' cake,

 

For us to know its ins and outs

requires at least the years from K through 12,

plus patient teaching

and a fair amount of homework.

Shirking study may lead to failure.

Along the study lines of our lives

we take on rough, tough, through,

thought, and even the Slough of Despond.

 

Having mastered these,

we glory in our superiority for

lo! those many middle years

until the day our mind reminds us

not to concern ourselves further

with such trivia.

There's more to life than spelling.

 

 
Copyright © 2016 Ann Tudor
 

No comments: