Search This Blog

Sunday, July 3, 2016

Maps

I study maps whenever I come across them,

though I don't go so far as to seek them out.

I study the countries,

determined to put them once and for all in their places.

But each time I encounter a map

I am astounded once again

by the changing nature of the world.

 

Was Iraq always where I saw it yesterday?

And Turkey?

Was Ethiopia ever and always so large?

 

The map in my mind's eye is completely skewed.

No country in my head

bears any relation to the maps I study.

Have I always been so resistant to reality?

 

Are the mapmakers rearranging the boundaries

at random?

On purpose?

To confuse me?

To confound peacemakers and negotiators?

 

Are maps simply a conspiratorial product

created by and for the arms dealers?

 

Oh, where are the maps of yesteryear,

those colourful playthings of my childhood?

 

 

Copyright © 2016 Ann Tudor
Blog1: http://www.fastandfearlesscooking.com
 
 

No comments: