Search This Blog

Sunday, December 30, 2018

Trying

They say, these bumptious know-it-alls,

not to try.

Just do it, they command.

To say you will "try"

dooms the effort to failure.

 

Having shown that I know the drill,

may I continue?

If I but try, I can see myself

making a go of it.

In the here and now,

not in the distant past or the perilous future,

I can work my way past the obstacles,

eschewing ostentatious gestures,

simply putting one foot ahead of the other,

calmly,

without haste,

and with no wondering whether the game is lost.

It may well be;

wouldn't be the first loss in the history

of the world.

Get over yourself.

 

Another thing they say,

those New Age gurus:

Show up. Pay attention.

Do the work. Don't attach to the outcome.

 

Now, doesn't that just put the whole thing

in a nutshell?

This is why I know that all I need to do

is make the effort.

Try, in other words.

 

 

Copyright © 2018 Ann Tudor
Food blog: http://fastandfearlesscooking.blogspot.ca
 

No comments: