Search This Blog

Sunday, December 27, 2020

How Christmas 2020 Unfolded

 

They say that the way to avoid disappointment is to set up no expectations in the first place. Given that this was our Covid-Christmas year, my want-list for December 25, 2020, was pretty slim.

 

The day leaped into possibility, however, when Santa delivered to all Toronto children their dearest wish: he deposited six inches of bright, white snow on the city. The grey and damp Christmas Eve had set us all grousing, but in just twelve hours life was transformed to sleds on hills, snow angels (I made two), and boots trailed through soft powder creating awesome footprints.

 

From there The Day just got better and better. In honour of my birthday, which I share with my great-nephew Nate, our friend Richard, the Prime Minister of Canada Pierre Trudeau, and Jesus himself (though some say they got the date wrong), we began the day by popping open a bottle of biscuity Champagne to sip as we unwrapped gifts, just the two of us.

 

The focal point of the two-person brunch that followed was one burrata, two additional cheeses, three kinds of homemade bread, and a bowl of delicious potted shrimp. There was no partridge in a pear tree.

 

Then, in order to make snow angels I put on snow pants, a long, hooded winter coat, boots, hat, scarf, and gloves. DinoVino swept a path across the back deck, as if for the queen's passing, so I could reach the level ground of virgin snow outside our fence, where I made my two snow angels. There would have been more, but it's harder to get up from the angel-making position than it used to be. Two was enough.

 

Back into the house just in time for the Zoom birthday party my children had arranged. What I didn't know was that they created a surprise party by inviting siblings, nieces and nephews, and cousins—a whole Zoom-screen full of people I haven't seen for too many years. Despite the built-in awkwardness of the Zoom format, it was a glorious success.

 

The Day proceeded after the Zoom call, but I won't tell you every little thing. I'll just say that it was a beautiful day, and one that carried me over the Slough of Despond that sometimes accompanies a birthday (Onward and Upward, every year, every year) and allowed me to soar with the angels.

 

I hope all of you had Christmases that were equally surprising in loveliness. And that 2021 will meet our modest but hopeful expectations.

 

 
Copyright © 2020 Ann Tudor
Musings blog: http://www.scenesfromthejourney.blogspot.com
ListenandLive: http://www.listenandlive.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=An+Tudor&search_in_description=1&osCsid=0710648c0eea428843aca84d0c04837d&x=0&y=04837d&x=0&y=0
Audible.Ca: go to https://www.audible.ca and search for Ann Tudor
Audible.Com: go to https://www.audible.com and search for Ann Tudor



No comments: