Search This Blog

Thursday, September 13, 2007

Scenes from Childhood: Swings and Swifts

I've told you that I spent hours lying on our local merry-go-round when I was little, listening to its metallic groans. I implied that that was all I ever did when I was at the playground. Not true.

The playground had two large swing sets, with four swings on each set. These were the old-fashioned, heavy-duty kind of swing, sturdy 2x6 boards supported by strong linked chains. The supports were heavy steel tubes, with the usual angled posts at the ends and a crossbar at the top from which the swings were suspended. The angled posts were perfect for shinnying up, if that's what you liked to do. (Climbing poles was difficult for me as a child, since the only exercise my arms got was turning pages and carrying stacks of books home from the library. So I seldom tried to shinny up a pole. But I liked to watch others do it.) And after you shinnied up the pole you could, if you were strong and brave enough, perch on the crossbar at the top and taunt your friends who couldn't make it to the top.

But all that happened during the day, during recess.

At dusk I had the playground to myself. I don't know why I was never called home. Well, I do know. I was never missed. Most of my time at home was spent curled up in a chair, out of the way, my nose in a book. If I wasn't visible, they just assumed that I was reading in some corner. But instead, often on a summer evening I was at the playground, either lying on that merry-go-round or sitting in a swing.

Because the swings had long chains, they were perfect for winding and unwinding. Using your feet, you would twirl around and around, twisting the chains as tight as you could. Then you'd give yourself a shove and let the chains unwind. As the chains sought their normal stasis of hanging parallel, first you'd go around and around one way, and then the momentum would carry you into rewinding them in the other direction and then the other way and then the other way. While it lasted, it was as good as a carnival ride.

So that's one thing I did while sitting on the playground swing at dusk.

But mostly what I did was I watched the chimney swifts. I knew nothing about kinds of birds.

I just knew that there were hundreds of birds that darted through the air at dusk, all around the chimney. There were so many and they flew so fast and so erratically that my eye couldn't pick out just one to follow. The sky above the school's tall chimney was black with them, even as the light faded and a cloak of darkness began to fall over the playground. And finally, just when dusk turned into dark, all the birds were sucked into the chimney in a single fluid motion, like water being sucked down a drain. And then they were gone and I knew it was time to go home.

Just as I still feel in my bones the groaning vibrations of the merry-go-round, I can still remember the peace of sitting in a swing, barely moving the swing with little pushes of my legs, and watching the chimney swifts. I didn't attach any meaning to them, and I certainly didn't attach a name to them; it was only years later that I read about chimney swifts and made the connection. But I remember watching them as they wheeled and darted, changing direction on a dime--those typically swiftian movements that make them so efficient at catching bugs.

In Wolfville, N.S., half a block from our daughter and son-in-law's restaurant, Tempest, there's a little market-place, with a visitor's bureau right at its center. The area used to be home to a factory with a tall chimney. In a flurry of urban renewal, the factory was torn down, but the chimney was allowed to stay, specifically because of the swifts that inhabited it. From the restaurant windows you can see the tall free-standing chimney rising from the empty market-place. (If you look in the other direction you see the local tidal basin that is either mud or an extension of the Atlantic Ocean, depending on the tide.)

Every evening, the swifts that live in the chimney come home from their daily activities. Tourists gather in the marketplace to watch, and the local mosquitoes think of this as their own private restaurant. At first you can barely see the swifts. The tourists with the sharpest eyes call out, "Here they come!" Finally everyone can see them dart and circle. Oohs and aahs unite the group of strangers. Two or three bold swifts disappear in a wink down into the chimney (wanting to get the best nest location, perhaps) while the others continue to circle. And finally, just as all the tourists have been bled dry by the giant Nova Scotia mosquitoes, the rest of the swifts spiral down the chimney. If you blink you'll miss it, so fast do they disappear. The tourists leave immediately for their own evening activities, still scratching and slapping but satisfied to have seen the magic of the chimney swifts.

I revel in the connection between my childhood playground swifts and the swifts that my daughter and her children see every summer night.


Copyright 2007 Ann Tudor
http://www.anntudor.ca/

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am in awe that you have these memories, while I think I came to at age 28 or so and have bits & pieces of memories from then and almost none before. Amazing!