Search This Blog

Sunday, April 21, 2013

Speed Kills

Small things need time.

I walk at a moderate pace

(no athletic power walk for me)

and yet I am still unable to take in

the small things I see.

The crack in the sidewalk catches my eye

but

whoosh!

I am beyond it before I can give it

the attention it deserves.

 

The same is true of the clump of

now-golden hosta leaves

which barely register in my brain

as a beautiful contrast to autumn's brown plants

when

Hoop-la!

they are behind me.

 

The only solution is to adopt

the stop-and-start wonder-walk of the two-year-old,

for whom the slightest anomaly

deserves a detour.

 

And if I see so little,

I at my moderate pace,

how much is missed by our hurrying society

of runners, joggers,

and men in cars

gobbling up the miles.

Speed kills.

 
 
Copyright 2013 Ann Tudor
www.anntudor.ca
http://www.scenesfromthejourney.blogspot.com

No comments: