Search This Blog

Sunday, July 19, 2015

A Scrap of Paper

If I'm lucky, a scrap of paper gives me

a fragment, two words, a gnomic phrase

that I must translate into its full meaning.

Too often, as when I stumble on the scrap of paper

hidden for months under its brothers,

the meaning of the cryptic fragment

has been spirited away by the winged demons of Time.

 

Recently I chanced upon just such a scrap

which had surfaced from beneath a pile

and appeared on my desk.

Here's what it said:

"Red Splatters

"Tomatoes

"Ladybugs

"Black Bats

"Red Fires

"Black Dirt."

 

Not a word made sense.

I pondered, reflected,

searched memory.

double-checked handwriting.

 

After half a day I had it:

These were team names suggested by Sam

when he was four and we played

mock soccer games in the dining room.

Mortimer, Archibald, and Leroy

were all players that day,

but I don't remember

which team they represented.

 

Just by chance, however,

Sam was the star player

for the Red Splatters.

 

 

Copyright © 2015 Ann Tudor

No comments: