Search This Blog

Sunday, January 24, 2016

Found Poetry

In her Christmas/birthday package to me, my sister sent a cunning little notebook attached to a key chain. It consists of four-inch-long pieces of paper rubber-banded between hard covers to make a book. Theoretically I would jot down my observations and musings on these slips of paper (a little over an inch high), then rip them out and re-start my writing life based on these keen observations. I've been carrying this cute thing with me for two months now and so far have had no need of it.

 

My powers of observation seem to have deserted me. On the subway I read or do double-crostics assiduously, barely lifting my eyes to the scenes around me. If anything did happen I would be a useless witness for the investigators. "Gun? What gun?" "Argument? No, I didn't hear a thing."

I am insulated and isolated in my rigid box, just trying to make it through the day.

 

At any rate, I will soon stop adding the weight of the cute notebook/keychain to my already too-heavy purse. Perhaps traveling empty-handed, without even the possibility of recording the thoughts that pass through my brain, will stimulate such thoughts.

 

Once I noticed things, didn't I? Once I saw the world in its oddities and anomalies, its tender moments. Once I looked. The notes I wrote, cryptic to a fault, probably had meaning for me at the time. Now? Not so much. Whatever memories or discussions they were meant to trigger have been lost. Here is my list:

 

a diamond necklace

Jo's broken leg

clothes from the past (lilac linen dress with buttons along

    the side from armpit to hem)

what's for dinner?

pearls of wisdom

in parks and laneways

buying candy

funnels and strainers (or perhaps it is "funerals and strain"?)

unleash your potential

plucking facial hair

beat cranky men (Alysa)

Burton's dinner, oven-fried potatoes

leaf blowers

Colombia women

drinking as the go-to remedy

squirrel upside down on a branch

Sean, purple Ferrari

Harold, Audi, black and white

Archibald, dark-blue Lamborghini

need to expand soup

waiting from day to day to see what will happen

warm your plates and chill your salad plates

here's how to measure butter

impulsive

innovative

impromptu

improvisational

 

Has it turned into poetry yet?

 

 
Copyright © 2016 Ann Tudor
 

No comments: