Search This Blog

Sunday, December 24, 2023

Words to Live By?

One day I sat on the subway (many thanks for that last open seat I found) and I thought. I believe I've been asking, listening, and reading too much, for my mind is full of strictures. Do this. Do that. Spine straight (or as much as it can be in a subway seat), chin lowered to raise the crown of the head and lengthen the spine. Tongue gently resting behind the teeth on the soft palate. Breathe—but not partially. Breathe all the way. Let the diaphragm move. Expand your lungs, your belly. Keep all this in mind.

 

Think violet. Did you dot your crown, your third eye, and your heart with that mixture of cedarwood, frankincense, and rose, as was suggested? No, you forgot. Pity. Maybe you can do it later.

 

Drop your shoulders. In Therapeutic Touch they call them "should-ers" because they reflect the tension in our body as we "should" our way through our lives.

 

Each day is a new life, I read somewhere. I like that idea of starting anew every morning. And I'm still greeting that day with "ole" instead of "ohm", though I follow the first with the second immediately. The "ole" wakes me up enough to think, "Oh yes. I'm supposed to (i.e., I should) start the day with an ohm."

 

Last week I heard a quotation that began, "There is no path." I forgot to copy the second line to it, so rather than search it out I made up my own: "There is only an endless series of choices." And there you are: life in a nutshell.

 

In my spirit of striving (oh, stop striving!) to live consciously, I remind myself about joy and the appearance of joy; I remember that it takes more muscles to frown than to smile. Sure enough, it's useful to bring a thoughtful joy to the table when you can. Duh. Words to live by, maybe, but hardly original. Nonetheless, these are what I will keep in mind today: first, life is an endless series of choices, and second, bring a thoughtful joy to the table.

 

 
 
Copyright © 2023 Ann Tudor
Musings blog: http://www.scenesfromthejourney.blogspot.com
Audible.Ca: go to https://www.audible.ca and search for Ann Tudor
Audible.Com: go to https://www.audible.com and search for Ann Tudor




 

No comments: