Search This Blog

Sunday, January 3, 2021

Fw: The Book List; Scenes from the Journey, vol. 18, no. 1

 
Attached is my annual list of books that I really liked during 2020. As you might expect, the pandemic had a big influence on the list. In the first place, I started a lot more books (327) and finished a lot more than usual (264), probably through boredom. I starred (i.e., really liked) a lot more than usual (117; by comparison, last year I starred 23). When the Toronto Public Library was closed for almost three months I lost my major source of reading matter and was thrown back on DinoVino's extensive collection of '30s and '40s detective fiction (hence the 20-odd Nero Wolfe books that I devoured). I may have inadvertently lowered my standards for starring, so you'll have to keep that in mind.
 
I'd like to improve the arrangement of the list, ordering the books by genre or, at the very least, alphabetically by author. But I can assure you that ain't gonna happen, so you'll have to wade through mysteries, humour, new books, old books, nicely done fluff, biographies, and books on Nature. To give you a toe-hold, here are two must-reads: The Mongolian Chronicles (Smutylo) and Utopia Avenue (David Mitchell).
 
Happy reading in 2021!
Audible.Ca: go to https://www.audible.ca and search for Ann Tudor
Audible.Com: go to https://www.audible.com and search for Ann Tudor




Virus-free. www.avg.com

No comments: